Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

These are for my sweetie, so that we may share many more tea times together. Four mini quilt coasters.

I started making these as a way to practice machine quilting before I dive into a wall quilt I need to quilt. As is typical of me, I didn't want to just practice and then throw away perfectly good fabric and thread. And we have been in need of coasters. I found a lovely tutorial on the blog flossieteacakes for making fabric coasters. As is also typical of me, I altered the pattern a wee bit. I made them four inches square ( so a little bit smaller), and I free-motion quilted them.
I chose these rosey prints. And then later added some leaf green fabric to make a solid 4. (It was becoming apparent to me that these were to be a Valentine's day gift.) It was a really good way to practice quilting. Thank you, Flossie.
I finished the binding by hand, wrapped them up for my hubbie. . .
I put them with a box of his favorite cookies. . .
Later we shared tea and cookies, and each other's company. I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's day, too.

P.S. Check out the blog Lily's Quilts (lilysquilts.blogspot.com/). She has made an amazing hexagon quilt out of Sherbert Pips. And she is having a give away.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you. Why throw again something this fabulicious! I cut them into small pads for face cleaning.

    ReplyDelete